Click to enable Recite Accessibility Features

Breaking

Dyslexia Hero: Bhavna Kawa


In this Dyslexia Hero article I would like to showcase the work of Bhavna Kawa from Birmingham.

What are the positive effects of dyslexia on your life?


Whilst working in an independent prep school I observed that many children had different styles of learning.  I have studied many creative and academic courses and I particularly enjoyed Floristry level 1 & 2, self taught gift wrapper and life coaching.  
I am able to relate to dyslexic children as I was also born with dyslexia - learning difficulties that can often bring many anxieties and worries to those individuals, who struggle with every day life and tasks.
It gives me a lot of joy to tutor children in my local area and show them different types of learning that works for them.
It also gives me a lot of joy to use my dyslexic creativity with my floristry working with local hotels to provide floral arrangements as well as wrapping gifts for charity events.
I see these as real positives and I continue to thrive and better myself in all areas, whilst also being humble. 

What strategies do you use to help with studying with dyslexia?

I always plan ahead by being organised, which definitely works for me. For example, I have an interview in a few weeks time, I would organise my time by having a note book to hand, writing a list of tasks, researching on the company, jotting down questions, asking questions on the role, etc.

Join other parents and teachers who support kids with Special Educational Needs - Click to book.

If I were planning a weekend dinner for my self and family, to make things easier I would make enough dinner for both weekends, which saves time and planning. This would start during the middle of the week, planning what I would be cooking for the weekend ahead. I  list the ingredients and on a Thursday or Friday go out to source the food. By the weekend everything would be ready to cook and enough left over for Sunday dinner. Planning is definitely key!!

In my role working with children with dyslexia, I devise new ways of helping children learn different techniques with part of their learning process. For example spelling tips, spelling the word for example:

Spelling the word 'What'

'W' is the first letter if you sound it out phonically.

The end word is 'hat', if you put all the letters together which makes 'What'

Another example:

The word Know

1) So this time you say/sound the letter 'K'

2) Then say 'now'

3) Break that up by saying K   now

4) Learn to spell it

5) You now have the word Know

6) Silly ways of spelling, actually do work.


Learning to tell time by using the 'cut the cake' method, I taught my self silly ways of learning, again this is a great way of teaching children to tell the time.

How are you helping others with dyslexia?

I tutor children in my spare time, who have dyslexia in English and Maths up to primary age. I would love to provide craft classes to children. This would be an excellent opportunity for children to enjoy creative time, whilst excelling in their academic studies. Being creative whilst learning!! As dyslexics are creative individuals.

Contact Bhavna on Twitter - Click Here.

Book your place today: Click here.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is too much amazing. I have found with ease what I was looking. Moreover, the content quality is awesome. Thanks this time to take advantage of Interior Painting Services in KNOXVILLE TN visit for more details.

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

Something new is coming to The Studying With Dyslexia Blog.

Something new is coming to The Studying With Dyslexia Blog. For almost 4 years, the Studying With Dyslexia Blog has sought to bri...

Powered by Blogger.