Click to enable Recite Accessibility Features

Breaking

What is my child's style of learning?



I had a lovely email sent to me today regarding an article that I had posted some time ago about learning styles.

Readers of this blog will know that I am a huge advocate for teachers teaching their children in a way that suits the needs any given child.
I will have even made comments along the lines of how a child should be taught in their own 'learning style'.

In a way I still believe this but the email that I was sent really challenged my understanding of learning styles and what that really means.

I have often heard the phrases 'Kinaesthetic Learner', 'Visual Learner' etc and given my own experiences in school and often how I learn now I would very easily use similar terms to describe the way that I am learning.In that email, I was gently challenged about my views and I am really glad that I was.  Have I recently been confusing the term 'learning styles' with 'accessibility to learning'?  Perhaps they are two different things but are easily confused?

When I think about my experiences of getting extremely tired if I had to consume large amounts of text for study, I know that I would feel that I could learn a lot of that content in a different way.
As an adult, I often ask YouTube how to do things in their search engines and thus find a video that could explain a way to do something.  Is that a visual learning style?

But then I think of times in my education when I was doing research for a project which meant a lot to me and because I was motivated I would try to push past the tiredness in reading and researching to get to my end point.  I was still learning, even if it was really challenging for me.

So maybe, what I am referring to is a learning preference or maybe it is about accessibility?

The author of my email referred me to a fascinating blog article called "Learning Styles - A Detriment to Effective Student Learning".

In this article, it states that there are as many as 71 categorised learning styles in the literature.  What a job it would be for a teacher to cater for each of those styles if each child had a different learning style!
So perhaps considering learning styles as a culmination of a bunch of successful ways of learning, maybe a spectrum of learning abilities?  My ability to learn through reading is severely hampered by my getting tired extremely quickly but when watching a video where I can pause, fast forward, or rewind, my learning is boosted.  Both methods give me a level of learning which are not equal but perhaps makes up a learning profile, perhaps a learning style?

 Click here to help your child learn more effectively.
Download your free copy today.
So it is quite possible that I have confused the conventional use of the term 'Learning Style' with that of 'learning accessibility' and I am grateful for the challenge as it was really useful for me to look into it deeper.

What I do believe is that our teachers need to have the time and space to be able to consider what mechanisms for learning work for the children in their class and to use a range of strategies to communicate educational concepts.  I also believe that they need to be open to (as well as have the budget to buy) technology that helps with learning.  For some, it could be using mind maps to put together ideas (visual/non-linear learners?), or for others using software that reads out text in curriculum-based textbooks (see my blog article about a free resource that schools should be aware of - click here).
I would really like to know your thoughts? 

6 comments:

  1. Every child has some specific different way to use while they are learn somethings and they love to use that way only. https://dental.residencypersonalstatements.net/learn-how-to-make-dental-resume-that-helps-you-to-find-dream-job/ you'll be get more ideas about the writing help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually the child himself select the learning way as which way he loves to do it and which why he feels comfortable. here to get more tips and helpful guide on research papers writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There has very least of thank you later , so you may have find very least of paper on this and very least of templates too. learn more for your help and hope you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My granddad included data in my cerebrum by illuminating me with respect to his understudy life time and the inconveniences of those years. He edified me https://www.annotatedbibliographymaker.com/profesional-ala-formatting-help/ concerning the deficiency of development, absence of crisis facilities and informational associations and after that I felt that we are very blessed as stand out from those individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the examinations making is amazingly significant in light of the way that, understudies make the fitting responses out of the demand in tests. On the off chance that read here they don't make the fitting responses out of given demand mind blowing, they'll not get phenomenal outcome. That is the reason, teachers weight on understudies to upgrade the creation capacity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually the child himself select the learning way as which way he loves to do it and which why he feels comfortable. keep it up. it's time to avail This Commercial Roofers in Portland Visit Here for more details.

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

Something new is coming to The Studying With Dyslexia Blog.

Something new is coming to The Studying With Dyslexia Blog. For almost 4 years, the Studying With Dyslexia Blog has sought to bri...

Powered by Blogger.